Tuesday 30 August 2011

Ohhh Ahhh Moment

On my travels in Koln, I came across something interesting. I was walking across the Hohenzoller Bridge in Koln and saw thousands of padlocks all over the bridge’s fence.


Ok um what the idea of the locks?  Looking closer I saw names and dates on the locks.


I did a little research and found the following:


"Apparently this custom in Cologne started in 2008. It was an amazing sight. Padlocks of all colors, shapes and sizes were all over the fence.This custom was believed to have begun in China. Couples would secure their padlock and throw away its keys to symbolize locking their souls together. These love locks can now be found all over the world – Ukrain, Guam and Russia just to name a few. Their beliefs about the locks may vary per city but one thing is still true- all is done for love. And as a true romantic, it was wonderful and inspiring to be surrounded by that much love – even if it was just through symbols." ~  http://bentroad.wordpress.com/2011/02/17/the-story-of-the-love-padlocks/


So, we I get married (whenever that may be) I will be dragging him with me to Koln and putting our lock on the bridge.  Romantic.








No comments:

Post a Comment